United Nations, Nov 22 (IANS) The UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan has been reporting escalating intercommunal violence, cattle raids and aerial bombardment in the country’s Upper Nile State, a UN spokesperson has said.
The incidents in Ulang and Baliet counties of the Upper Nile State, according to local authorities, have caused multiple casualties, impacting women and children, and displaced around 12,000 people, said Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson for the UN secretary-general, at a daily briefing on Friday (local time).
The United Nations is “deeply concerned by the rising violence in Upper Nile State,” Dujarric told reporters.
In response, the United Nations Mission in South Sudan deployed a patrol to Baliet this week, where peacekeepers engaged with local officials and provided emergency medical assistance, reports Xinhua news agency, quoting Dujarric.
Earlier this month, a global charity announced that more than 445,000 South Sudanese people had fled their homes in 2025 due to a surge in fighting across the country, worsening one of the world’s most protracted humanitarian crises.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said the combined effects of conflict in South Sudan, the consequences of conflict in Sudan, recurrent inter-communal violence, and massive floods had devastated communities in 2025.
The ICRC said families are facing growing hardship and uncertainty as aid funding declines sharply and essential services are stretched to breaking point.
The charity urged all parties to the conflict, authorities, and donors to take action to prevent a catastrophe in the coming months.
Florence Gillette, head of delegation for the ICRC in South Sudan, said conflict-related hostilities affected seven states out of 10, and inter-communal violence has occurred in almost all states.
“This cycle must end so that communities can recover from years of crisis. This is further compounded by the impact of climate change, with above 900,000 affected, including 300,000 displaced,” she added.
The ICRC has assisted 196,000 displaced people and returnees from Sudan in collaboration with the South Sudan Red Cross since the beginning of 2025.
It said this assistance has focused on addressing life-saving needs through a combination of food support, cash assistance, emergency agricultural and livestock interventions, income-generating assistance, and the provision of essential household items to improve living conditions.
–IANS
int/sd/
Disclaimer
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by BhaskarLive.in and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of BhaskarLive.in We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, BhaskarLive.in takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
For any legal details or query please visit original source link given with news or click on Go to Source.
Our translation service aims to offer the most accurate translation possible and we rarely experience any issues with news post. However, as the translation is carried out by third part tool there is a possibility for error to cause the occasional inaccuracy. We therefore require you to accept this disclaimer before confirming any translation news with us.
If you are not willing to accept this disclaimer then we recommend reading news post in its original language.
