United Nations, Aug 30 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for an immediate ceasefire in and around the El Fasher area in Sudan’s North Darfur, his spokesman said.
The UN chief is appalled by the relentless attacks by the Rapid Support Forces on North Darfur’s capital, spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement on Friday.
“El Fasher has been under a tightening siege for more than 500 days with hundreds of thousands of civilians trapped in the area,” he said.
The secretary-general is alarmed at the grave risks of serious violations of international humanitarian law as well as violations and abuses of international human rights law, including ethnically motivated ones, Xinhua news agency reported, quoting the spokesman.
Recent weeks have seen near-continuous shelling of the area and repeated deadly incursions into the Abu Shouk displacement camp, where famine conditions were identified in December 2024, he said.
Since August 11, the United Nations has documented the killing of at least 125 civilians in the El Fasher area, including summary executions, with the actual death toll likely higher, noted the spokesman.
Supplies are pre-positioned nearby. But efforts by the United Nations and its partners to move them into El Fasher continue to be hampered. There have been repeated attacks on humanitarian personnel and assets in North Darfur over recent months, said Dujarric.
The UN chief “insists that immediate steps must be taken to protect civilians and enable the safe, unhindered and sustained delivery of humanitarian assistance into the area, and to allow any civilians seeking to leave the area voluntarily to do so safely,” said the spokesman.
Earlier on August 28, UN humanitarians had said that under siege for 500 days, El Fasher city has become the epicentre of suffering for children.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) had said the already dire situation in North Darfur continues to worsen at an alarming rate.
The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) had said that malnutrition, disease and violence are claiming young lives every single day in El Fasher, with an estimated 260,000 civilians, half of them children, trapped in the city, cut off from humanitarian assistance for more than 16 months.
UNICEF had said more than 10,000 children in El Fasher have been treated for severe acute malnutrition since January, nearly double the figure for last year. At least 63 people, mostly women and children, reportedly died of malnutrition in a single week.
–IANS
int/jk/sd
Disclaimer
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by BhaskarLive.in and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of BhaskarLive.in We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, BhaskarLive.in takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
For any legal details or query please visit original source link given with news or click on Go to Source.
Our translation service aims to offer the most accurate translation possible and we rarely experience any issues with news post. However, as the translation is carried out by third part tool there is a possibility for error to cause the occasional inaccuracy. We therefore require you to accept this disclaimer before confirming any translation news with us.
If you are not willing to accept this disclaimer then we recommend reading news post in its original language.